Friday 16 July 2010

The Star Inn - 7th Annual Cornish Beer Festival

What a wonderful coincidence; my birthday and a Cornish Beer Festival starting on the same day. This was the reason for the earlier change of shirt. Suitable dressed I again left the flat and strode up through town, again dodging showers. Popped in to see BathZena in her dungeon before climbing Milsom Street and along The Paragon to The Star Inn. I had intended to be there for opening time but, well breakfast was worth taking time over. Just as I was within sight of the pub another, heavier shower hit so I had to run - only a bit - I don't do running. The bar person who will have to forgive me - I can't remember his name (I'll ask later) was waiting at the door for me (actually he'd chosen that exact moment to steal out side for a cigarette).



The menu for this years festival is most interesting. Of the 11 ales available over the weekend there are 3 familiar favourites and no less than 6 from new breweries. The three available for the lunch time session were indeed not the strangers; St Austell's Proper Job - a beautiful golden bitter ale and my usual pint at the Edgecombe Arms on my arrival in Cornwall via the Cremyll Ferry (Timetable). Proper Job is a very bitter ale with a strong flovour of grapefruit on the finish. Next in the line was the famous or should it be infamous Spingo Special - a true monarch of ales. Brewed at the back of the Blue Anchor in Helston it is a rich and fruity dark beauty and a strength such that many would advise only drinking halves. It was early in the day to be drinking Spingo so I too heeded the advise. The last one in line was one of my favourites from the Skinner's Brewery in Truro - Heligan Honey. Light in style and flavour amber ale with a hint of the honey from the bees of the Lost Gardens of Heligan. Before I left at 3 pm I had one more Proper Job. A most pleasant lunch time session.


1 comment:

The Millbrooker said...

Just so's you know - the Cremyll Ferry timetable is changing from Monday 19th July; it'll be all day without breaks - on the hour and half hour from Cremyll and on the quarter to and past from Admiral's Hard. Late ferries on Fridays and Saturdays are also being introduced. And the fare is being reduced.