Saturday 17 July 2010

..Cornish Beer (Part III)

I'm not sure yet, but it may be a bit of a struggle to get up to The Vineyards this afternoon but one things for sure it would be worth it.
Last night's session began for me at about quarter to seven. The Star was already filling up but there was still space on 'death row'. I started with another pint of the Gull Rock (4.2%) - or was it Cornish Gold (3.8%) - from the Tintagel Brewery. This one is such a good brew. It turns out the Gull Rock of the pump badge is the one off Trebarwith Strand and not Potreath's as I thought. I had to try the Roseland Cornish Shag (3.8%) again to confirm my earlier experience and second time around proved to be much the same as the first. A colleague joined me half way through the Shag and when finished it I went straight for a half of Wheal Maiden Brewery's Grandma's Weapons Grade Ginger Beer (5.5%) which couldn't have been more ginger - delicious. By now the Spingo and the Gull Rock had gone and there were 2 more ales on tap. I followed the ginger beer with Penzance Brewery's Potion No. 9 (4.0%), a golden ale which started on the palate with sweet peachy flavours and then rounded out to finish with a balance of sweetness and citrus tones. A good session beer. The last ale that I consider myself fit to judge was Stoked (3.6%) from Hogswood Brewery. This beer was almost mild like with a darker colour than the golden ales we'd become familiar with. It was gently fruity and not over bitter, refreshing - a great quencher and session brew. Although I did drink another pint I'm not sure if I can be objective enough about it. It was becoming increasingly difficult to make the notes. All I will say is that All Saints Brewery's Blest Bitter was yet another golden ale - a good one to be true with a complex hoppy bitternes on the finish. I'd certainly like to try it again. Perhaps if I make it up there this afternoon there'll be some left. Cheers.

No comments: