Thursday 21 June 2012

What Happened to St Ives?

I've visited St Ives in Cornwall several times over the years and it's changed. All places change over time. Many change for the better but I suspect that in general places that find themselves destinations for visitors suffer a creeping sickness that leeches the life out of them.
St Ives from the Malakoff
Over the forty odd years that I've lived in Bath I've seen it and sad to say the same thing has happened to St Ives.
Gradually 'destination' (I hate that) type places lose their individuality and essence and end up being a whistle-stop caricature of themselves.
We're not yet at the peak of the season and yet the pushing and shoving along Fore Street was intolerable.It was such a relief when we could slip left into Salubrious Terrace off The Digey for a few moments calm looking up Virgin Street.

Virgin Street, St Ives
There is never going to be an end to it but it makes me sad.

No comments: